Saturday, February 12, 2011

Just Plain OLD!

I am turning into an old foogey!

Oh wait….this blog in no way depicts a bad connotation of those that are offended by the terminology of “old foogey.” This bloggerite isn’t responsible for anyone upset or hurt by feeling like they are classified as an “old foogey.” The implicated terminology of “old foogey” is limited to the aches and pains of the author and in no way is a medical description of the aforementioned word. Does that cover the disclaimer basis? If you don’t feel it does, then I would highly recommend not continuing to read the following blog.

I am turning into an old foogey!


Can you hear my screams? I mean, I no longer a spry, young teenager but I feel so OLD! I’m not talking that I don’t have the running speed I did in high school, or that my endurance isn’t at the same par. I mean my body is turning into an old foogey!

When I was pregnant with the Monkey, she decided it would be fun and I guess extremely comfortable to sleep in my back. Let me tell you, it was amazingly pleasant. You don’t believe me? Good because the tears that streamed my face every night as my soon-to-be-a-Daddy hubby rubbed my back while (I’m sure) wondering why we ever decided to get pregnant was more than enough to see how much pain the constant spasms up my spine took their toll on me by the end of the day. After the Monkey was about six months old, the spasms were not only not getting any better but were actually getting worse, I decided to go to the chiropractor. After one huge adjustment, there was so much relief that I felt like I was walking on clouds. Don’t get me wrong, we didn’t totally fix my back. The doc informed me that my lower spine had been twisted about 30 degrees and that it was going to take time for the muscles to heal from the constant pressures to protect my spine for the previous year and a half.

Slowly, I can feel my back getting stronger. The first time I worked out at all my back was so sore that I couldn’t even do half of a move. I am to the point now that my back is still tight but it doesn’t hurt…that is until Monday.

I don’t know what I did. To date, I have learned that where my back is concerned I can do nothing or something and my back decides to go to war with me. I woke up Monday morning and couldn’t even stand. My back hurt so bad I couldn’t put my jeans on without holding my breath, get in the Jeep without tears, and walking without looking like a 135 year old lady that can’t find her walker.

I have been in so much pain the last week, I finally decided I had to do something…anything. I haven’t worked out for a couple weeks, so I thought I would do the starter workout dvd. My back was definitely tight but by the end of 30 minutes, it was a good tight. I have worked out three days in a row and it is amazing how much better my back feels.

I know that I need to become more consistent with my workouts. I need to be more consistent to benefit my health. I need to be more consistent from an endurance and muscle strength aspect. But the main reason I need to be more consistent for my back…so I can actually walk and move without feeling like I am going to kill myself. I need to be more consistent so I can enjoy my last year and a half in my 20’s feeling like a 20 year old before I can no longer enjoy that luxury.

So I created a goal. I made a workout schedule that is 7 weeks long. In 3 weeks I go home for 5 days. I am hoping my back survives riding in the truck and standing on my feet all day the whole time I am there. At the end of 7 weeks, we are going on vacation. My goal….is for my back not to hurt once on vacation. I expect that I am going to be stiff and my back is going to be tight at the end of everyday but I don’t want to hurt at all. I have made it through three days, no tears in sight today…I wonder what 6 ½ weeks is going to bring! Maybe a peace treaty with my back is somewhere in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. maybe you should go back to the chiropractor and see if your back is still torqued? maybe too much cleaning??? exercising is easy, then you hurt the next day...so maybe a little less exercising. you don't think you are doing much if you exercise a little, but you really are!

    ReplyDelete