Monday, March 22, 2010

What a Long Week!

Last week is finally over!

The only thing I can really say to that is well, a whole lot of nothing. It was such an exhausting week...I am so overwhelmed with fatigue, that it makes me even more tired just thinking about it all.

We had some really nice days last week for a pleasant change. On Tuesday, we spent a few hours outside just having fun. We went down to Great-Grandma's house for a visit and we had a lot to do! Grandpa has decided to raise rabbits again and they had some babies. I was kindof worried about getting Kenzie close to them since her dad is deathly allergic to them and I really wasn't up for having my baby girl turn purple on me like the horror stories I heard about Jake when he was little. But, she didn't have any problems at all. They were so cute...it reminds me of the bunnies my Grandma and Grandpa gave us as kids one year for Easter. We also walked around the farm, visiting with Kitty, seeing the day old dairy calf that was just accepted by the heifer cow that lost her calf the day before, and petting the wet noses of the yearling calves in the corrals. They were so curious of the little blue thing standing in their concrete feed bunker. Kenzie stood there half bent over with an arm outreached trying so hard to be still so that they would come up to her. I wish someone was out there with me...I know I missed some really great shots that afternoon. The main purpose of our trip was haircuts. Kenzie got her first real haircut and I got about 4 inches chopped off! A new look is always such a wonderful way to start spring!

We worked horses on Wednesday. Everybody was a little bit better than they were on Monday which was great. Roz was a little more relaxed. Not much, but I will take the little tries. Peaches didn't take the small punishments quite so much to heart. I know it just kills her to get into trouble but that is the main reason why I love her so much. Her tries were a little snappier and we moved through maneuvers a little bit quicker. Chex was a little more down to earth. I didn't get kicked at, or struck at, or attacked in any fashion. That was quite pleasant actually. Kenzie was trouble like always. Instead of playing with her toys that she had in her playpen, she decided that it would be more fun to stand on her box and try to reach the round pen panels and climb out to see the horses better. Oh, that little girl is trouble. It is going to be such a fun summer with her help. But, oh the trouble she will find.

We worked dogs too. Zip is actually sitting willingly even before I ask him to. We even started working on down, which is still a pretty foreign concept. He still thinks it means fall down and expose our belly for a rub. Ruger was great. He sat, down, and stayed on command. To top it all off, he brought the frisbee right back instead of his typical jaunts around the world. I guess he was getting the good behavior in to hopefully offset his stupidity as he tried to hang himself not once but twice later on in the week. Just so we are clear, it didn't work. The bad was, well, still just plain Ruger being an idiot.

Thursday the storm started coming in. So, we decided to go to a friends and see some babies. They had 3 kids born that morning. In total, they have about 100 kids and probably closer to 200 lambs. Kenzie had a blast and Matthew was so excited to show her all of the babies. The two of them had so much fun. Matthew herded Kenzie around as she tried to run after all of the babies that weren't quite sure to think about the kid that was normally not in their pens at feeding time and much smaller than their boy. Kenzie even got to feed some of the bottle lambs. She had such a great time. The day will come when we have a few on our place. As long as there are no pigs...I am game for it all especially with such good friends to teach us as we go. Except for pigs. I hate pigs. There will never be pigs. I will not be convinced otherwise either. Period.

Friday evening and Saturday were a blur. I was so exhausted mentally and physically from work, that I crashed almost the second I got in the house. By the time Saturday came around, Kenzie and I had the crud full strenght. Thankfully, we didn't have to do too much so we just existed. We did bake Dad a cake that Kenzie had a blast helping me decorate. That was what she wanted to do to thank him for taking such good care of us while we were under the weather. Besides, cake is a much easier word to say versus cookie or brownie. But that is besides the point. And it was such a great decision on her part...the cake tastes awesome. Bonus! Our decorating skills have improved since Kenzie's birthday. They aren't fabulous by any means...but we were both quite pleased! Jake has been doing that a lot this winter. I don't know what we would do without him!

Sunday went by so fast as well. We started planting our garden in the house. We have 15 tomato plants (different varieties: cherry, roma, and big boys) , 4 cabbage plants, and 10 peppers (some bell and some jalapenos) sitting in cups in our very sunny breakfast nook. I can't wait to see if we have sprouts this next weekend. It is going to be so exciting this summer. We have such great garden plans and I am ready to can and freeze until I am blue in the face. I have a feeling I will be a pro in no time flat! We had some friends stop by in the afternoon and stayed for dinner. It fit perfectly into our plans since I had a beef roast with vegetables already planned to eat with plenty of extra.

So, that brings us to another Monday morning. It is supposed to be snowy tomorrow and then rain Thursday and Friday. Figures. Stupid weather. Just be nice and springy and lovely. For a few days. It is time to be here officially. Easter is two weeks away and the weather has to be nice to hunt Easter eggs! I have decided no horses or dogs tonight. Kenzie is still pretty sick and I don't know if I can say that I am fully recovered yet either, so I am going to work inside and try to finish a few projects. That is my plan for the week. Finish projects that I have had started for ....well, it feels like forever. I just need to buckle down, suck it up and get busy. Hopefully, I can stay motivated. That typically seems to be my problem. I always start each week with such big plans but rarely by the end of the week do I actually have something or much of anything to show for it all. So maybe this week will be different. I would be so happy if the list would shrink a few lines. Maybe I can get some fun stuff in. Like pictures of the last few weeks uploaded. Like reading one of my magazines that are starting to get a nice little layer of dust on them. Just maybe... I guess we will just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. oh, sorry to hear you guys got sick! take time to relax. enjoy the evening. read and drink hot tea! My cure is a small glass of Baileys! lol

    ReplyDelete